Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lamb Rogan Josh w/Coconut Milk

I have made Lamb Masala before but never have I made Lamb Rogan Josh. 
In fact at restaurants  I never ate it because it was always oily and had a lot of heavy cream. 
Tonight I decided to try to make a healthier version to see how it turned out.  Tim (my husband) said that I can make it again,  while he was scraping the bottom of the pan to get the remaining bits.

Ingredients
2 small onions julienned
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tsp salt
1 lb boneless lamb cut in 1 inch chunks
1 14 oz diced tomatoes (drained)
1 14 oz can coconut milk
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp (or to taste) hot chili powder
1 tablespoon garam masala (recipe in previous post)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

In a large saute pan over medium high heat melt the coconut oil and add cumin seeds.  When they begin to crackle add the onions.  Cook for about a minute.  Add the Lamb and salt.  Cook until lamb is almost browned.  Add the diced tomatoes and cook until almost all the water is evaporated.  Add turmeric, chili powder and garam masala.  Stir and then add Coconut milk.  Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.  Add Cilantro before serving. 



2 comments:

  1. This is actually pretty close to the recipe I used to use. (Yes, the name of the dish appealed to me.) The coconut milk is pareve - i.e., it has no actual milk in it - it's ok to use with the lamb, so the whole dish is kosher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, Yummy! Everyone in my family loved it! Even the nanny took the recipe to make for her husband. Only thing I would add is that if you use leg of lamb instead of shoulder (what is usually sold as lamb stew pieces) then you need to cook the meat longer for it to be tender. Took me 60 minutes instead of 20 minutes.....but well worth the wait. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete