Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Veggie Lasagna


When I was a kid in Colorado, on occasion we would have the Stouffer’s veggie lasagna (my parents are vegetarian, I know you would not know it from my meat heavy posts).  I think this is one of my father’s non-Indian food favorites.    I have also had a several requests, to post a few vegetarian meals.  Once again thank you to Brad for the original recipe.  His recipe only has spinach as the veggie, but I added carrots and broccoli.  Another addition is the Panko topping; I think the Stouffer’s has some sort of breading on top that I always liked and I thought Panko would be a good idea (Tim only allowed me to put on half of it).

Ingredients
20 oz frozen leaf/chopped spinach
Non Panko on the Left/Panko on the Right
10 oz frozen chopped broccoli
5 oz matchstick carrots
2 lbs ricotta
1 ¼ cup shredded parmesan
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
2 eggs (optional)
1 package barilla no cook lasagna noodles
Butter or Ghee to grease the pan
4 cups shredded mozzarella (divided)
3 cups panko
4 tbs butter

Preheat oven to 375
In a large microwave safe bowl thaw spinach and broccoli; drain excess water.  Add the carrots, parmesan, ricotta, salt, pepper garlic powder and eggs, and stir until combined.  Grease a 9x13 pan with butter or ghee.  Put a layer of noodles down and top with mixture, then spread 1 cup mozzarella.  Continue layering for 3 to 4 layers making sure the last layer is mozzarella.  Cover pan with tented foil (this is so the foil does not stick to the cheese).  Bake for 25 minutes.  Uncover and if you decide to top with Panko; Toast panko in melted butter and cover top layer.  Bake for an additional 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let set for 5 min. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! Instead of 20oz of chopped spinach, I only used 10oz, and I added a small container of sliced baby bella mushrooms. I seasoned the mixture with Goya's Adobo seasoning, garlic powder, and a little seasoned salt to taste. Next time, I'll probably only use about half of the amount of panko that recipe calls for, or regular bread crumbs. I ended up with a lot of panko that wouldn't stick so I removed the extra from the top layer after it was finished cooking, then baked again to brown it for about 15 more minutes. I would definitely use this recipe to make this again!!

    ReplyDelete