Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Caramel chocolate cupcakes

Growing up I always wanted to be a baker, but when I tried to bake anything it was always a flop.  I know that does not sound like a ringing endorsement for this recipe but hear me out.  I think it was the first time I met my mother in law (who by the way was a home economics teacher), we were making biscotti and she asked me for a cup of flour and that is when I knew why my baking never turned out.  So here is a little history: growing up in my family where my mom nor my sisters bake; a cup in our household was a coffee mug. I do not think we owned an actual measuring cup.  So I handed my mother in law a coffee cup of flour.   Lets just say, 5 years later she has not let me forget that moment.  So now I know the difference between a liquid cup and a solid cup and a coffee cup and my baking has much improved. 


Chocolate cupcakes:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened coco powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brewed coffee (used Starbucks instant and 8 oz of water)
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350
In a large bowl combine all your dry ingredients and mix until all the clumps are removed. 
In a measuring cup combine all your wet ingredients and incorporate them into your dry ingredients. 
Stir until they are combined.  Put 1/4 cup of batter in cupcake liners.  Bake 18 to 20 minutes until toothpick comes clean.  Let cool completly before frosting. 


Depending on how much batter you put in the cupcake liners I was able to make 18. 


Salted Carmel Buttercream frosting

Ingredients
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons water
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar


In a small saucepan combine granulated sugar and water.  Stir with a wooden spoon and bring to a bowl until it becomes an amber color.  Takes about 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool for about 3 minutes, then stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.  ***Do not stop stirring or it sticks to the bottom of the pan and is a pain to clean off.*** Cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.  ***Even easier buy the caramel sauce from your grocery store***

In a mixer combine the butter salt and cream. Add the powdered sugar until it is well combined 
Add cooled caramel mixture. 

Refrigerate until ready to use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment