Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

The spoon is in the eye of the beholder.-Chicken Masala


When I was going over the recipe with my mom and I said "I put 2 teaspoons of minced garlic", she cringed and said that is too much. We finally realized why; the spoon on the far right is the one my mom uses. The spoon in the middle is what my mother in-law uses and the spoon on the far left is what I use. If you ask any of us each is a teaspoon. Technically the one in the middle is a true teaspoon and is what I use for this recipe. I have to admit it was hard for me to adjust from my teaspoon to the actual measuring spoons.
  
Chicken Masala (makes 4 servings)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 6 small onions peeled and minced
  • 6 skinned chicken thighs (bone in)
  • 6 skinned drumsticks
  • 1 14 ½ oz diced peeled tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoon minced garlic (I use Spice Blend Pre-minced)
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger (I use Gourmet Garden)
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric 
  • 1 teaspoon hot red chili powder (more or less depending on your taste)
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt (more or less depending on your taste)
  • 2 to 4 cups of water (just enough to cover the chicken)
  • 2 tablespoons garam masala (more or less depending on your taste)
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro (more or less depending on your taste)
Instructions
  • Over medium high heat add oil and cumin. 
  • When the cumin starts crackling add the minced onions
  • Let onions carmelize.  Be careful to keep stirring so they do not burn
  • Once carmelized reduce heat to medium add
    • tomatoes
    • garlic
    • ginger
    • turmeric
    • red chili
    • salt
  • Cook until tomatoes start breaking down
  • Add chicken and stir to coat. 
  • Add enough water to cover the chicken
  • Bring up to a boil and cook for approx 20 minutes then reduce heat and simmer. The longer it cooks the thicker the masala and the chicken will start falling off the bones. 
  • Add Garama Masala
  • Add Cilantro
  • Serve over rice




No comments:

Post a Comment