Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Garam Masala, What is it? Why should you make your own.

Garam (Hot), Masala(Mixture) is a spice used in Indian cooking. When I use the term "hot" I do not mean the scoville scale for peppers.  These spices are considered as "warm".  "Warm" spices are known for their strong flavor and scent.  A commercial version of Garam Masala can be purchased at your local grocery store (usually called Curry Powder), but I do not recommend it.  What I have noticed is the spice you get at the store is primarily Turmeric (turmeric will be discussed on another day) and very little of anything else. Finally, the store bought tends to lack in flavor intensity that you find in most Indian cooking. 

I always thought that making Garam Masala at home would be quite labor intensive until I had a conversation with my mom.  She has always made her own and it is actually quite easy if you have a spice grinder or as my mom always used a coffee grinder. 

This is the recipe given to me by my mom.
  • 2 lbs coriander (cilantro seeds)
  • 8 oz cumin seed
  • 4 oz cloves
  • 4 oz cinnamon sticks
  • 4 oz whole black pepper
  • 4 oz dried ginger powder
  • 2 oz black cardamon
Mix all the above ingredients.  Grind small batches in spice/coffee grinder and store grounds in Ziploc or air tight container.  Makes over 3 lbs  (great to share).   

 



No comments:

Post a Comment